b-hebrew - Re[2]: Different verb forms - same meaning?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Different verb forms - same meaning?
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 20:47:22 -0500 (EST)

I think this is another instance similar to Numbers 2 and 3, which I
asked about on this list not so long ago. See the thread "Discourse in
Numbers" started by me 5th December 1998, if it's in the archives. I
haven't looked at this Joshua example in detail, but if the parallel
holds, it supports my preference that Numbers 3:21ff is essentially
desriptive ("this is what they did") rather than jussive ("this is
what they should do") in meaning. But then perhaps the Joshua passage
is jussive ("the boundaries are to be such-and-such") - is that
possible?

Peter Kirk