b-hebrew - Re[6]: ex 26 + 36.8ff, (36.29)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[6]: ex 26 + 36.8ff, (36.29)
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:52:24 -0500 (EST)

Thank you, Bryan.

I am concerned about your argument that poetry is a more basic form of
the language than prose - if that is what you are saying. I think the
opposite is more likely to be true, at least by analogy with other
languages e.g. Azerbaijani which I am studying. True, prose styles can
be artificial with special conventions not used in normal speech. But
also poetry can be very artificial; it can be archaising; and it also
be very free e.g. in choosing words for their sound rather than for
their strict grammatical suitability. The last point may be why it is
actually very difficult to reconstruct the TAM system of Hebrew from
poetry - because the poets simply used the verb form which sounded
best, regardless of whether it normally had an uncancellable tense or
aspect property which contradicted the sense of the poem.

So where can we look to avoid artificial prose styles and poetic
styles which are both artificial and free? I would suggest looking at
direct speech - not long set pieces but those small conversational
speeches which are common in the historical books. There we may find
something more like the natural language of the Israelites of the
period of writing.

Peter Kirk