b-hebrew - RE: ex 26 + 36.8ff, (36.29)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Silberman, Alfred" <alfred.silberman AT lmco.com>
  • To: "'yochanan bitan'" <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: ex 26 + 36.8ff, (36.29)
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:16:39 -0500

randall buth [SMTP:ButhFam AT compuserve.com] wrote:

> The broad equivalency of veqatal and yiqtol in its "verbal color"
is, and
> always has been, very clear to readers of biblical hebrew.

After all the back and forth comments on this subject for the last
several years I found this comment very amusing. For those of us who are
immersed in Torah Study as a lifestyle and not as an academic subject this
statement was always obvious to me.

For over 40 years I have been studying and reading Tanakh, Talmud
and the Midrashim with commentaries before joining this list. I was not even
aware of a difference until I started reading about it on this list. I can
assure everyone on this list that for the thousands of people who are
engaged in Torah Study on a 24 hour per day basis this difference is totally
transparent.

Regards,
Al