b-hebrew - Re[2]: Latest Speculation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Latest Speculation
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:34:07 -0500 (EST)

Ian wrote to Lloyd:

"Do I understand correctly that despite your acceptance of some form of
documentary hypothesis that the sources involved are fundamentally a
reflection of the epoch they refer to rather than of the epoch they were
written in?"

Perhaps he should allow Lloyd the option of believing both of these,
because the epoch they refer to is, or at least is close to, the epoch
they were written in. That need not rule out "some form of documentary
hypothesis" as there could have been at a later stage editing, even
collation of sources. (Some forms of this hypothesis make it sound as
if the redactor just pasted together the sweepings of the floor of
that Qumran cave Dave was talking about where each fragment had three
part words on it! But maybe the redactor was actually intelligent and
included some real historical information in his work.)

Not everyone, not even everyone who is not evangelical, agrees with
your dating hypotheses. Lloyd was brave enough to ask people if they
agreed with his theory. I wonder what the response would be if you
asked the same question about e.g. your proposed post-Maccabean date
for Genesis and its sources.

Peter Kirk