b-hebrew - re: latest speculation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT Highland.Net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: re: latest speculation
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:45:15 +0000

At 05:57 AM 1/26/99 -0800, you wrote:

>Nope. First, the whole "davidic monarchy" is tenuous historically at best.
>
>This sounds like the position of the "Deconstructionists" I have been
hearing about. I am most interested in this. What can you tell me about
this school of thought?

I think that the writings of Niels Peter Lemche and Philip Davies would be
the best place to start here. Lemche's most recent book, "The Israelites in
History and Tradition" (westminster/john knox), is VERY good.
Davies' "Whose Bible is it Anyway" is also very enjoyable!

>Second, the Yahwists might have "baptized" language about El when they
>homogenized with their neighbors; but that does not dependence make.
>
>I apologize, but I do not understand what you are saying. Would you please
clarify for me?

Im sorry- what I mean is that the Yahwists, living side by side with their
cannanite neighbors, merely adopted their "god - talk" to Yahweh; applying
appelations for El to Yahweh.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD