b-hebrew - the land

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT Highland.Net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: the land
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:40:21 +0000

Is anyone aware if it has been argued in the literature that Gen 1:1 refers
not to the creation of the universe- but to the creation specifically of the
dwelling place of god (heavens) and Israel (land)(not "earth").
Specifically, is it possible that the author of Gen 1 has the same
fascination with the "land" that later tradents possessed? Is it possible
that the focus of Gen 1 is NOT the whole wide world but merely the Land
which God will give to Abraham's descendents?

"In the beginning, God created the heavens (his own dwelling place) and the
Land (our space)... and the Land was formless and void, (empty)... and God
filled it with us...." etc.

As we all know, the Biblical picture oft repeated is the filling of the Land
with God's own- in spite of the fact that the Land already had inhabitants.
The Land portrayed as empty and in grave need of filling- but only by the
descendents of Abraham.

This concept is merely in germination stage- so if ya wanna heap oil on it
to kill it out please do. If it has already been suggested and obliterated,
please let me know.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim West, ThD