b-hebrew - Re: Thought division (Is 1:28-30)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Thought division (Is 1:28-30)
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:41:12 -0500 (EST)

Dear Paul,

I don't think I can agree with you here. It's not the "sof pasuq" or
anything, but to me it is the clear poetic parallelism between the two
halves of this verse (and between verses 29 and 30, see below) that
prove that they go together. Indeed I have rarely seen such an
accurate synonymous parallelism! As I understand it "weyiqtol" is to
be considered as simply "we-" + "yiqtol", and so here we have two half
verses, exactly parallel in syntax and semantics, linked together by
the simple conjunction "we-".

I know I have not explained the initial "kiy", but I know that word
can have a wide range of meanings. I would not want to explain either
half or all of verse 29 as a reason for verse 28 - it doesn't look
like a reason of any sort, and your previous post gave a good reason
for separating 28 and 29, the shift of person. Perhaps the meaning
here is simply emphatic or intensive, BDB's sense 1e and Holladay's
sense I.1a; or a marker of direct speech (BDB 1b, Holladay II.7) with
the speech verb omitted. Or could the "kiy"s in 29 and 30 be intended
to mark some sort of pair? There is a higher-level parallelism here:
29a with 30a, 29b with 30b, marked by the repetition of "'ela" and
"ganna".

Peter Kirk