b-hebrew - Re: Nomadic Scribes? (Peter, Ian)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT ilink.nis.za>
  • To: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Nomadic Scribes? (Peter, Ian)
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 06:46:49 +0200

Peter wrote, concerning Jericho:

> . . . (Ian)
> "Jericho was destroyed in the first half of the sixteenth century BCE,
> totally abandoned for over a century, then there was a small
> settlement on the site from 1400-1325 then nothing until the eleventh
> century."
>
> (Peter) Suppose for the moment that we accept the above. Why was the
> settlement abandoned in 1325? (How accurate is that date anyway?)
> Could that have been because of the Israelite conquest? Also, how
> small was the settlement?

Dear Peter,

A post-Joshua occupation of Jericho is suggested in Judg 3:12ff. It would
appear that
Eglon, king of Moab, received tribute from the Israelites and was
assassinated at
Jericho, and that Ehud's victory ended this brief, small, occupation.

Note to Ian - Ian you asked some questions in your last that I already had
answered in
a previous note. If you no longer have it, you can easily find the answers
for
yourself by reading the first six chapters of Joshua (you need to explain the
grain).
I also gave you a quote from Kenyon re. Jericho's walls that you apparently
overlooked.

Yours,

John Ronning