b-hebrew - Re: Monotheistic?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ken Litwak <kdlitwak AT concentric.net>
  • To: Loren Crow <lorencrow AT earthling.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Monotheistic?
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 22:16:46 -0800

I thought we were trying not to attack others personally. Yes, I'm
saing anything in particular, I hope. The varying posts about
nomontheism make varying assumptions about the historicity of accounts
in various books. One person dismissed the Exile as an historical
event. Another poster accepted the Exile as historical (it appears) but
dismissed anything recorded before that as having much historical value
(implicitly at least). My readerly response to your various poss
attimes is that you have a generally low regard for the Scriptures of
Israel as contaiing historical data, and we all know that Ian Hutchinson
seems to consider Bablylonain records infallible and the Scriptures of
Israel worthless historically. So agfain, that my readerly response to
his posts.

What I am suggesting in particular, is how we may expect to make
progress in undestanding when we hold contradictory assumptions about
the genre and hsitorical reliability of the accounts in, for example,
the Former Prophets? IN other words, your view on monotheism in Israel
is only complelling or meaningful if I share roughly the same view of
these documents.

The othet thing I am saing in particular is that this thread came out
of a thread on various tings like PHilistines and HIttites, in which a
coupelof posters made broad statements based on the lack of
arcaeological evidence. My point in aprticuarl, and I will ask you
directly Loren, how much of what you believe to historical, from the
moment youread this post, going backwards as far as you want, is based
solely on archaeological and epigraphic evidence as opposed to wrien
sources? NOt much, I bet. How much of your view of what is historical
is based on pure, objective history? None, I bet. So we should stop
with this nonesense about needing archaeolgoical evidence ike that would
prove something. Do you disagree?

Ken Litwak