b-hebrew - Monotheistic?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au>
  • To: Stephen Knapp <sknapp AT megsinet.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Monotheistic?
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 12:15:52 +1100

Stephen Knapp wrote:

> From what we know of the monarchic period, the influence of Babylonian
> religion was apparently not direct at that time. The need for an
> anti-Babylonian polemic would have been most pronounced during and
> immediately after the period of exile, arising from the need of the
> Babylonian Yahwistic exilic priesthood to win over the hearts and
> consciences of those in Babylon who would eventually resettle the former
> state of Israel/Judah. I believe that in the monarchic period Yahwism
> was one religion among many in Israel (yes, even in the Jerusalem
> temple), but the exile afforded its principle practitioners an
> opportunity to assert the uniqueness of their beliefs and conceptions of
> deity. The success of this group in securing political advantage early
> in the Persian period is the principle reason that the Bible takes its
> present shape. (In the ideology of an Ezra I would be accused of having
> placed the cart before the horse with that remark.) They have cast or
> recast Israelite religious traditions in a fashion which intends for
> Yahwism to arise as uniquely right for the land of Israel. The Bible
> interprets and justifies their domination of the land, and insists upon
> a Yahwistic monotheism.

But what about those parts of biblical literature which do not take a
monotheistic
view of things? A lot of the literature seems to be henotheistic or
monolatrous rather
than monotheist.

Best regards
GEORGE ATHAS
Dept of Semitic Studies,
University of Sydney
- Email: gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au
Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at
http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm