b-hebrew - Re: Random Thoughts

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Random Thoughts
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:59 -0500 (EST)

Interesting thoughts, Lloyd, but I think you will have to do a lot of
explaining away to bring this one through. You cannot just dismiss
texts which don't fit your theory as late but possibly in archaising
style, as even the texts you quote to support your theory contradict
it. For in the song of Deborah, God is called YHWH many times,
including YHWH ):ELOH"Y YI&:RF)"L in Judges 5:3,5. So we have your
earliest source identifying YHWH and El. Of course it could have been
corrupted, but your reasoning quickly becomes speculation when you go
down that road.

Peter Kirk

  • Random Thoughts, Lloyd Barre, 01/10/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Random Thoughts, Peter_Kirk, 01/11/1999