b-hebrew - Re[2]: (papyrus) Nomadic Scribes?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: (papyrus) Nomadic Scribes?
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:47 -0500 (EST)

Ian wrote: "I do remember that we call a variety of this, "parchment" from
"Pergamon", which I gather indicated when that practice developed, ie
during the history of Pergamon."

Come on, Ian, you can argue better than that! The provenance of an
English word tells us very little about the provenance of a custom. If
I call one type of pottery "china", does that mean that pottery was
not invented before the history of China? Anyway, parchment is only
one type of specially prepared animal skin.

According to "New Bible Dictionary", leather and parchment for writing
"was in rarer use than papyrus in Egypt and Bablylonia from early
times... for scrolls from the 17th century BC onwards... Parchment is
attested from c. 1288 BC in Egypt."

Peter Kirk