b-hebrew - Re: Hittites, Philistines, Patriarchs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Hittites, Philistines, Patriarchs
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 99 17:47:54

On Wed 6 Jan 99 (08:45:45 +0100), mc2499 AT mclink.it wrote:
> There is no doubt about the location of Ai.
>
> The name actually says it all: (heap of) ruins. It doesn't augur well
> for a report written about a functioning city.

Dear Ian

There may be some textual confusion between Ha`iYR the city and Ha`aY
the ruin (Joshua 8). Bethel is not necessarily Beitin, and Ai not is
necessarily Et-Tell. D Livingston argues cogently for Bireh to be the
site of Bethel. The topography agrees with that of the book of Joshua,
and one and a half miles east of Bireh is another small Tell, as yet
unnamed and unexcavated, which could be Ai. I don't have the bibliography
I'm afraid: it's my note from something I read about 10 years ago.

There are, of course, no convincing explanations of this conflict between
archaeology and the Book of Joshua.

$aLoWM
Ben
--