b-hebrew - Re[2]: Gen 1.1-2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT sil.org
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Gen 1.1-2
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 11:51 -0500 (EST)

Well, if we're going to trade Hellenistic and later understandings of
the creation story, how about this one:

"By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command,
so that what is seen was not made out of what is visible" (Hebrews
11:3).

But if we want to find out what the Hebrew text means, I think it is
of very doubtful relevance to look at much later interpretations which
are clearly influenced by Greek thinking. Are there any other passages
in the Hebrew Bible which throw light on Genesis 1:1-2? How about Job
chapter 38, Ps 90:2, Isaiah 42:5 etc? Are these not much more
relevant?

Peter Kirk