b-hebrew - Re: olsen and methods

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ken Litwak <kdlitwak AT concentric.net>
  • To: yochanan bitan <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: olsen and methods
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 08:08:12 -0800

I have only two questions for you Yochanan. Have you read Olsen's
dissertation? Have you read any of the works by Stanley Porter and
others that discuss the issue of whether the Aorist in Greek is temoral
or aspectual? If not, then you are too inadequately infomred to
critique the view you are arguing against. There's a growign mass of
literature in this regard, and I suggest thatyou read it first. It's of
interest here because the understanding of tense by the LXX transaltors
may tell us something about their understanding of Hebrew tenses.

Ken Litwak