b-hebrew - Re: exod 3:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Eric Weiss" <eweiss AT gte.net>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Re: exod 3:14
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 10:49:14

I am not a Hebrew scholar, nor even well-learned in it, but to answer your
statement: No, it is not any good. It is non-sense in all the meanings of
the word.

I have read somewhere that we need a good critical edition of the Hebrew
Scriptures on a par with Nestle-Aland's New Testament text, with the same
extensive variant readings, etc. The Masoretic text as "the" Hebrew Bible
has too long dominated the popular and religious mind, with the result that
things like this can be written which imply that every letter in the Torah
was divinely and eternally ordained and unerringly transmitted (much of the
"Bible Codes" stuff is based on an eternally-unvarying Hebrew text).

I am definitely way out of my league on this subject, but I understand that
the DSS and studies along those lines have put to rest the idea of "a" text
of the Hebrew Bible or the Torah.

Talmudic legends may indeed have some basis in fact, but the reverence that
some Orthodox Jews have for the Torah has allowed for the creation of
fantastic stories about its nature and its composition. From my upbringing,
I remember in the Passover Haggadah how the number of plagues that befell
the Egyptians was increased by noting that God was said to have brought the
Israelites out with a mighty arm (and persons have 2 arms) and an
outstretched hand (and persons have 2 hands - plus, there are 5 fingers on
each hand), thus multiplying the Biblical 10 plagues by 2 (arms) x 2
(hands) x 5 (fingers per hand) = 10 x 2 x 2 x 5 = 200 plagues, or some such
thing.

  • exod 3:14, Andrew C Smith, 01/05/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: exod 3:14, Eric Weiss, 01/05/1999