b-hebrew - Re: Deut 5:3 syntax and grammar?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: list b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: Andrew C Smith <a.c.smith AT juno.com>
  • Subject: Re: Deut 5:3 syntax and grammar?
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 21:11:59 +0800

Andrew C Smith wrote:

> What is the meaning of this sentence? I read:
>
> Not with your fathers made YHVH this covenant,
> but with us,
> this "we", [who are] here today,
> all of us living ones.
>
> It seems like an odd sentence to me.

Admittedly, what I am proposing here is interpretation. But, Andrew, if we
recall
that 40 years had passed since the Exodus 20 account, and that nearly all the
ones who
were more than 20 at that time had died in the wilderness, it is quite within
the
realm of possibility that the ones hearing Moses in his Deuteronomy discourse
were
thinking, "That was given to our parents." Moses is making clear that the
covenant
was made with the entire people, so, although the hearers were merely
descendants of
the ones who actually heard the message at Horeb, they too were partakers of
the
covenant. Admittedly, this would be more clear if there was a limiter
meaning "only"
after "your fathers.

However, rather than: this "we", [who are] here today
I would suggest: we, these [who are] here today

Paul

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines

zellmer AT faith.edu.ph