b-hebrew - Re: Deut 5:5 other readings possible?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: list b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: Andrew C Smith <a.c.smith AT juno.com>
  • Subject: Re: Deut 5:5 other readings possible?
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 20:51:43 +0800

Andrew C Smith wrote:

> The usual reading of Deut 5:5 ends:
>
> " ... and didn't go up the mountain. He said ..."
>
> But can we read
>
> " ... and didn't go up the mountain in order to speak."
>
> a.c.smith AT juno.com
> http://www.lcms.org
> http://www.lcms.com
> http://www.geocities.com/athens/acropolis/5680

Andrew,

I can see the reason for your question, based on verse divisions. However,
since
there is no L"'MoR at the end of verse 4, nor again, at the beginning of
verse 6, and
since verse six is clearly a quotation, interpreting the L"'MoR at the end of
verse 5
as the normal direct speech formula seems to make more sense. In fact, while
your
suggestion fits nicely in idiomatic English, I wonder if the more normal
Hebrew way to
say what you suggest would have the infinitive construct either immediately
preceding
or following the verb. Anyway, taking most of verse 5 as parenthetical and
then
removing the parenthetical statement to check for sense yields a nice
parallel to what
we see in Exodus 20:1.

Paul

Ibanag Translation Project