b-hebrew - Re: Malachi 2:15

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Malachi 2:15
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 99 22:58:34

On Mon 4 Jan 99 (16:00:24 +1000), kato AT shodai.ac.jp wrote:
> It is widely accepted that ('echadh) in Malachi 2:15 means God.(TDOT
> vol.1.p197, NRSV etc). On the other hand, (as is explained in the present
> version of $B!H (JBiblia Tysiaclecja $B!I (J, the Standard Polish
> Version),there is another understanding which takes the word as alusion
> to Abraham.
> Unfortunately I couldn't find out any sources which help me to trace the
> history of the later interpretation. Does anybody know well about the
> process how this view had been formulated?

Dear Eiichi

I prefer the NIV version of this verse. In context, it is a piece about
marriage and infidelity and divorce, taken as a metaphor for abandoning
one's former allegiance to YHWH for a false god. "Has not [the LORD] made
them one? In flesh and spirit they are his. And why one? Because he was
seeking godly offspring, [etc]".

As it says in Genesis 2:24, "For this reason a man will leave his father
and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh"
(L:BaSaR 'eCaD).

ShaLoWM
Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick, BA CF
<ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk>

  • Malachi 2:15, E.Katoh, 01/04/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Malachi 2:15, Ben Crick, 01/04/1999