b-hebrew - Re: Yahweh and Jesus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: GregStffrd AT aol.com
  • To: barre AT c-zone.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Yahweh and Jesus
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 13:20:49 EST

In a message dated 1/2/99 2:18:30 AM Pacific Standard Time, barre AT c-zone.net
writes:

<< Dear Greg:

Compare

"Isaiah said this when he saw his *glory*, and his words referred to Jesus."

with

And they cried out to one another in this way,
"Holy, Holy, Holy is Yahweh Sabaoth.
His *glory* fills the whole earth!"

Isaiah's vision of Yahweh's glory is much more naturally related to the
temple vision that to messianic predictions. He *saw* his glory. In
addition, the allusion to portions of Isaiah 6 in the previous verse leave
no doubt that Isaiah's temple vision is being alluded to. As for your
cross-referencing, I am not quite convinced that the diverse writings of
the Bible are so systematically related to one another as you suppose.

It also occurs to me that we are on NT territory with this discussion. We
should take of the list should you think the topic is not yet exhausted.

Best regards,

Lloyd >>

[...]

Dear Lloyd:

I appreciate your thoughts, but may I suggest that you interact specifically
with what I wrote regarding the background informing our subject text(s)? I
gave several clear reasons why Jesus is viewed as the "glory" of Jehovah, but
not Jehovah himself.

Also, since you are OT person, as you said, check the Targum to Isaiah 6 and
you will notice that the "glory of the Shekinah" of Jehovah is in view, and
there may have been a tradition existing at the time John wrote his Gospel
which he made use of in identifying Jesus to others, as the "glory" of
Jehovah, which is precisely what his brother Paul did in Hebrews 1:3.

Regards,

Greg Stafford