b-hebrew - Is 1:13d

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: B-hebrew list <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Is 1:13d
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 19:09:04 +0800

I'm having a bit of trouble really understanding the thought in the
last part of Is 1:13, which reads:

Lo'-'W.KaL 'fWeN Wa`a:CfRfH

I have not been able to make out how the English translations came
to their conclusions. Some seem to translate YCL as intransitive,
others take it as transitive with the previous list (13c), and still
others have its object as assemblies, which is modified by 'WN.
About the best idea that I have found has been Delitzsch' proposal
that the verb has a compound and contrasting object: [both] 'WN and
`CRH. Yet I haven't seen any of the major translations that bring
this out clearly. (That doesn't mean that they aren't out there--I
just haven't seen them!)

How do you all handle this clause?

Paul

Ibanag Translation Project