b-hebrew - RE: Fox's first two days

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Steve Brailsford <Steve.Brailsford AT seagatesoftware.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Fox's first two days
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 09:48:10 -0500

Bryan,
I really appreciated your pointing out the bias and outlook of Fox's
translation. I was not aware of this.

Ian,
I would be careful when I used to word chaos. Although the current
vernacular is appropriate, there is a distinction in the sciences, or
specifically Physics, between chaos and randomness. Chaos infers an order
that is too complicated to ascertain. Mathematically, randomness is defined
as NO order. With that definition, I would assert that the appropriate word
to use would be "uncollected and random." In any event, your separation of
three days of creation and then three days of ordering is instructive.

Also, I found an interesting definition or chaos in Expedia.
Chaos, in one ancient Greek myth of creation, the dark, silent abyss from
which all things came into existence. According to the Theogony of Greek
poet Hesiod, Chaos generated Earth, from which arose the starry,
cloud-filled Heaven. In a later theory, Chaos was the formless matter from
which the cosmos, or harmonious order, was created.

I was wondering if they were trying to infer that the OT account was later
than the Greek mythos.

Steve Brailsford
NOBTS Student - Orlando Extension
Seagate Software