b-hebrew - Re: Fox's first two days

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lewis Reich" <LBR AT sprynet.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Fox's first two days
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 07:25:18 -0500

On 26 Oct 98, at 22:45, Bryan Rocine wrote:

> B-Hebrewers,
>
> What do you think of Everett Fox's translation of Gen 1:1-8?
>
> 1 At the beginning of God's creating of the heavens and the earth,

This reflects the well-known grammatical comment by the
traditional Jewish commentator Rashi. To me, a definite
improvement over "In the beginning God created..."

> 2 when the earth was wild and waste,
> darkness over the face of the Ocean,
> rushing-spirit of God hovering over the face of the waters--
>
> 3 God said: Let there be light! And there was light.
> 4 God saw the light: that it was good.
> God separated the light from the darkeness.
> 5 God called the light: Day! and the darkness he called: Night!
> There was setting, there was dawning: one day.

Eliminating all the "ands" is an improvement; but I'm
curious to know why he didn't stick with evening and
morning.

> 6 God said:
> Let there be a dome amid the waters,
> and let it separate waters from waters!
> 7 God made the dome
> and separated the waters that were below the dome from the waters that
> were above the dome. It was so. 8 God called the dome: Heaven! There was
> setting, there was dawning: second day.

Similarly for "dome" for RaQiYa(

Lewis Reich
LBR AT sprynet.com