aifia-pt - [AI] Capitulo brasileiro do IA Institute

aifia-pt AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Arquitetura da Informaēćo (em Portuguźs)

  • From: Livia Labate <liv AT livlab.com>
  • To: "Arquitetura da InformaĆ§Ć£o (em PortuguĆŖs)" <aifia-pt AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [AI] Capitulo brasileiro do IA Institute
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 02:53:04 -0400

> edson rufino wrote:
olĆ” livia, tudo bem?
existe algum estatuto formalizado ou qualquer outro documento do gĆŖnero alĆ©m do que existe no web site da aifia? seria bom termos material do tipo para estabelecermos nossos parĆ¢metros.
vocĆŖ poderia ver isso pra gente?
Vamos comecar esclarecendo que a AIfIA mudou de nome em 2005 para se chamar The Information Architecture Institute, ou IA Institute. O nome AIfIA nao existe mais.

O /board of directors/ esta atualmente finalizando um plano de negocios para deixar mais claro quais sao os objetivos do IAI e como o instituto dara apoio a futuras iniciativas. Eu (e o resto do /board of advisors/) estamos revendo o que esta sendo apresentado. Logo mais (ainda nao sei a data exata) isso sera publicado e eu acho que seria uma base mais solida para uma proposta para o capitulo brasileiro do que o que esta atualmente disponivel no site.

Por enquanto, devemos rever o seguinte:
1. http://iainstitute.org/pg/about_us.php (geral)
2. http://aifia.org/pg/aifiabylaws.pdf (Bylaws)
3. rascunho do plano de negocios (em anexo)

[]'s

LL

IA Institute (Business Plan draft)

==========
BRIEF STATEMENT OF OPPORTUNITY OR PROBLEM

+ Opportunity
People designing and building shared information spaces benefit from
a place where they can share and grow with others.

+ Problem
People do not recognize that they have business problems stemming
from inadequate shared information spaces, which could be addressed
through the practice of information architecture.

+ Corollary
Information architecture principles apply in all shared information
environments: Virtual, such as the Web; Physical, such as built
enviroments like museums, libraries, hospitals; and Procedural, such
as in flows of information in work processes.

MISSION
Through advocacy, services, and education, the Information
Architecture Institute serves to:
* advance the design of shared information environments.
* support a global community infrastructure that connects
people, ideas, content, and tools.
* demonstrate the value that information architecture
approaches, methods, and philosophies provide in our increasingly
complex information world.
* move society toward an understanding that *wherever* there is
complex information, information architecture practice can be put to
good use

BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF BUSINESS
The IA Institute is an international, non-profit member driven
association. Through education, advocacy and services, we:

* promote excellence within our field,
* build bridges to related disciplines and organizations, and
* support business and organizations in achieving their goals.

+++++++SO, HOW WILL WE KNOW WE ARE SUCCESSFUL AT:+++++++++++++

* advancing the design of shared information environments.
* supporting a global community infrastructure that connects
people, ideas, content, and tools.
* demonstrating the value that information architecture
approaches, methods, and philosophies provide in our increasingly
complex information world.
* moving society toward an understanding that *wherever*
there is
complex information, information architecture practice can be put to
good use

CURRENT KEY STATS
-----------------
As of February 22, 2006
983 Members
50+ Member countries

OTHER KEY ITEMS
---------------
Active Events program:
- IA Retreat October 2005 (Roughly 40 attendees (?))
- MAYA Workshop December 2005 (Roughly 30 attendees)
- Pre-con at IA Summit March 2006 (Roughly 30 attendees)
- IDEA 2006 October 2006
- IA Retreat in Chile November 2006

THE GOALS OF THE ORGANIZATION
-----------------------------
At heart, the purpose of the organization is to:

1. Promote and support the discipline of information architecture
2. Promote and support the practice of information architecture
within the community (both
business and design)
3. Promote and support information architecture practitioners (who
are members)

At heart, and as a volunteer organization, the Institute's primary
purpose is to keep its members happy.

METRICS
-------

- Membership
- Participation in events
- Participation in initiatives
- Web site traffic (key pages, downloads of key resources)
- Member satisfaction

Currently we track the first two, but not the second two. The
Institute aims to develop systems for tracking initiative
participation and member satisfaction.

(We definitely have logs, but we don't watch them very closely.
We probably need better log tracking/analyzing software than
the default at Dreamhost.)

GOALS
-----
At heart, there are two metrics that warrant explicit goals
- Membership
- Member satisfaction

The participation metrics are a means to these metrics. Though
important, they are not crucial. And initiatives and events are
currently too varied and circumstantial to base a business plan on.

IA Institute membership currently sits at ~1,000 with membership from
50 countries.
By December 2007 we hope to have a membership of 2,000, and increase
the number of countries to 75.

No member satisfaction survey has been taken. We aim, in April 2006,
to conduct a member satisfaction survey to identify a baseline of
satisfaction.

==============

Peter Me's comments:

As you can see, I've attempted to way-focus our goals and metrics.

Simpler the better. At heart, a volunteer organization is a member
organization. And all that really matters is keeping those members
happy.

The goals identified are good because they are so different.
Membership is a specific number, a "money where their mouth is" kind
of measurement that speaks directly to the success of the organization.

The member satisfaction metric is by nature much looser and more
nuanced. Responses to a member satisfaction survey will reveal
happiness, concerns, and desires throughout the organization.

We choose not to have specific metrics around events and initiatives
because those might be the wrong things. We don't want to incent the
wrong things. Focusing on member satisfaction, and membership, will
keep us focused on the right things.