aifia-metrics - Re: [Aifia-metrics] first pass at agreement

aifia-metrics AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Towards standard methods and metrics for evaluating IA

  • From: Rashmi Sinha <rashmi AT rashmisinha.com>
  • To: <aifia-metrics AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Aifia-metrics] first pass at agreement
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 18:44:25 -0700

Thanks for the feedback Livia,

> "minor editorial changes" sounds a bit scary, I'd be afraid to
submit. Maybe because I'm used to submitting stuff to magazines and seeing
my articles getting chopped up by awful editors. Who knows, maybe others
share the same fear.
What kind of changes were you thinking? I don't believe we should make any
alterations to the metrics people send. I am unsure what you meant by this,
but if what you want is to normalize the submission by making them similar
in structure/form, we could instead provide submission guidelines and/or
even a template to be filled in. If so, then we could add another item
before number 4 that would say: "All submissions should comply with AIfIA's
Metric Submission Guidelines".

I have my doubts about this one as well. Here is the kind of change I was thinking of: We should not be needing to make changes as such, but it is possible that we would like to make some changes for easier readability. You can imagine that someone's instructions for a set of metrics are not very clear and we can suggest some changes. This does in any way mean we will be making changes to the proposed metrics themselves.

I think your suggestion above makes sense of having a statement like: ""All submissions should comply with AIfIA's Metric Submission Guidelines". I will make the changes.

On item six, I would just change "may not" to "will not".

Ok.

Items seven and eight could be just one item, hosting. Since this agreement
is for submissions, this will also depend on how the submissions should be
sent. If submissions will be sent through email, how do we know if they want
to host it or if we can? The agreement needs to specify exactly what's going
to happen, not the possibilities.

This and other details will need to be ironed out as we understand better how the project will work. I will make a note about this on the wiki.

The reason why this works on TIA because we ALWAYS email the author before
translating asking two things: if they authorize the translation (under
TIA's terms of agreement) and saying that we will host the translation on
the language pages. Should an author express that they would rather have the
translations on their web site, then we do that (example: Garrett's diagram
at jjg.net/ai )

We will work on this in the "Call for contributions" document, and have the changes reflect in this agreement document as well.

If the submissions are going to be uploaded through AIfIA's site, then we
could just add a form field where the person chooses this (might make more
sense since there are the CC choices to make as you explained).

Yes. But we still need to make a final decision about how materials will be uploaded. I am still looking into that. Lets talk about this issue in more depth during the IM meeting.

Item 10 is a bit nebulous -- it's their own so it's an obvious "right". It's
AIfIA who is "allowed" to publish the metrics on its site (item 7). I'd
remove this one. Unless, of course, you mean something else by "final
metrics". By the way what do you mean by final metrics? I suppose you meant
the metrics after they have suffered "minor editorial changes" ;) So I guess
we go back to that issue before we settle this one.

Let me think about this one...

Last but not least, this agreement doesn't apply if the person is not
submitting their own work. That's what I said before - people might want to
participate by suggesting things they like and use, not necessarily their
own work. Even just links :)

Well, people can suggest anything they want to by providing links in the comments. We need to think about the material that is solicited and officially submitted through AIfIA. For anything else, AIfIA is not responsible. It is possible that someone's materials (say X) are suggested by a third person. At that point if X decides to submit the materials to AIfIA for housing on the AIfIA site, then they have to say yes to this agreement. Its only at that point that any AIfIA agreements apply.

Does this logic make sense?

-rashmi

Cheers,

Livia Labate
http://livlab.com | liv AT livlab.com

The Translation of Information Architecture Project
http://aifia.org/translations/