aifia-announce - AIfIA Newsletter for 7-May 2004

aifia-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: IA Institute announcements.

  • From: Austin Govella <austin AT grafofini.com>
  • To: AIfIA List <aifia-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: AIfIA Newsletter for 7-May 2004
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 15:08:44 -0500

Asilomar Institute for Information Architecture
--> http://www.aifia.org

The AIfIA newsletter features news about AIfIA and our
partner sites: Boxes and Arrows, IAslash, and IAwiki.

---- WHAT'S NEW WITH AIFIA -- http://www.aifia.org ----

1. COCKTAIL HOUR AT ENTERPRISE SEARCH SUMMIT (New York
City):
In conjunction with the Enterprise Search Summit next week
(May 10-12), Avi Rappoport is organizing a face-to-face
cocktail hour for AIfIA members at the Hilton Hotel bar. If
you’d like to attend, he asks that you RSVP.
--> RSVP FOR THE COCKTAIL HOUR:
http://aifia.org/calendar/000333.php

2. JOB BOARD CONTINUES TO GROW:
The AIfIA job board has emerged as one of the best places
for information architects and user experience professionals
to learn about job openings. Over 300 jobs have been posted
since the job board began last June. Employers can submit
positions at no charge. If you’re an AIfIA member, you can
subscribe to the job board newsletter to receive job
postings by email.
--> LEARN MORE ABOUT THE JOB BOARD:
http://aifia.org/jobboard/

3. AIfIA OPENS I.A. LIBRARY:
AIfIA has launched an international collection of the best
articles, books, blogs, guides, reports, and other resources
related to the field of information architecture. The IA
Library’s collection is still very much under development
with new resources being added constantly.
--> EXPLORE THE IA LIBRARY:
http://aifia.org/library/

4. WALL STREET JOURNAL COVERS AIfIA and I.A.:
AIfIA members Peter Morville and Christina Wodtke were
quoted in the May 4 Wall Street Journal article " Designing
a Better Presidential Daily Brief." The story was great
coverage for both I.A. as an important part of design, but
also for AIfIA, as an organization.
--> READ AN EXCERPT FROM THE ARTICLE:
http://aifia.org/news/000346.php

---- WHAT'S NEW WITH OUR PARTNERS ----

-- IASLASH -- http://www.iaslash.org

Three good links that have been posted to IAslash in the past
few weeks:

1. His work: Watching people use the Web
(re: news coverage of “user experience architects”)
--> http://iaslash.org/node/view/7561

2. The Red Herring of Usability ROI
--> http://iaslash.org/node/view/7558

3. Presentations and handouts from the 5th Annual ASIS&T
Information Architecture Summit (in Austin, TX)
--> http://iaslash.org/node/view/7556

IAslash is daily news for information architects, operated
by AIfIA
--> http://iaslash.org/

-- BOXES AND ARROWS -- http://www.boxesandarrows.com/

Three good recent articles in the past month:

1. Card sorting: a definitive guide
(Donna Maurer and Todd Warfel)
Card sorting is a simple user-centered technique for
obtaining insight into the structure of a site. This
definitive guide includes detailed instructions on how to
execute and analyze a sort, plus helpful hints to improve
your sorts. (The first in a series of articles about card
sorting)
--> http://tinyurl.com/yr4f2

2. Observing the User Experience: A Practitioner's Guide to
User Research
(Andrew Hinton)
With all the attention to usability and the wonderful
swelling of IA-related books just since 2001, you would
think we would have enough methods and advice to keep our
projects in perfect tack. But many of these resources tend
to be more about how to pilot the ship than how to find that
all-important star and keep it in sight.
--> http://tinyurl.com/2jexm

3. Understanding Organizational Stakeholders for Design
Success
(Jonathan Boutelle)
User-centered design professionals pay special emphasis to
one type of stakeholder—the users of the system—arguing that
user experience needs to be carefully crafted to satisfy
user needs. While understanding user needs and goals is
certainly necessary, it is often not sufficient for
producing a successful design.
--> http://tinyurl.com/293eh

Read other recent Boxes and Arrows articles:
--> http://www.boxesandarrows.com/archives/2004_05.php

All previous articles by categories:
--> http://boxesandarrows.com/archives/cat_index.php

Boxes and Arrows is the definitive source for the complex
task of bringing architecture and design to the digital
landscape.
--> http://boxesandarrows.com/

-- IAWIKI -- http://www.IAwiki.net/

Great copy writing? Common icons? Interesting interfaces?
--> http://www.iawiki.net/GalleriesAndCollections

How should I implement best bets, top picks, and manual
recommendations?
--> http://www.iawiki.net/BestBets

Where can I learn about website patterns?
-- > http://www.iawiki.net/WebsitePatterns

Looking for Recent Changes to the IAwiki?
--> http://www.IAwiki.net/RecentChanges

IAwiki is a collaborative discussion space for the topic of
Information Architecture. Anyone can contribute, and there
are no pre-registration hoops to jump thru.
--> http://www.IAwiki.net/

----

Comments about this newsletter? Questions? Things you'd like
to see included in future issues?
--> aifia-announce-owner AT lists.ibiblio.org

Want to unsubscribe or change your existing subscription?