aifia-announce - AIfIA Newsletter for 21-September 2003

aifia-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: IA Institute announcements.

  • From: Jeff Lash <jeff AT jefflash.com>
  • To: AIfIA Announce List <aifia-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: AIfIA Newsletter for 21-September 2003
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 15:53:35 -0500

Asilomar Institute for Information Architecture
--> http://www.aifia.org

The AIfIA newsletter is published every other week
(pretty much) and features news about what's new with
AIfIA and with our partner sites.

So let's get to the news!

---- WHAT'S NEW WITH AIFIA -- http://www.aifia.org ----

1) AIfIA ELECTIONS
AIfIA members elected three new directors to the Board
of Directors last month, and the new board has just chosen
its officers. Here is the AIfIA Board of Directors for
2003-2004:
* Peter Morville (President)
* Lou Rosenfeld (Treasurer)
* Victor Lombardi (Secretary)
* Samantha Bailey
* Livia Labate
--> MORE INFO: http://aifia.org/pg/elections.php
--> AIfIA LEADER BIOS: http://www.aifia.org/pg/people.php

2) AIfIA BYLAWS
The AIfIA Bylaws were recently amended and published;
read about the nuts and bolts behind how AIfIA is
established, governed, and organized.
--> UPDATED BYLAWS (PDF): http://aifia.org/pg/aifiabylaws.pdf

3) AIfIA TRANSLATIONS
The AIfIA Translation Initiative launched a while ago,
but volunteers are still hard at work translating
important IA articles to and from a number of
languages, including Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese,
Italian, Japanese, French, and Danish.
--> READ TRANSLATIONS: http://aifia.org/translations/

4) AIfIA MEMBERSHIP
Sign up today and get all of the benefits of membership,
including members-only job listings and a member directory.
--> JOIN US: http://aifia.org/signup/

---- WHAT'S NEW WITH OUR PARTNERS ----

-- IASLASH -- http://www.iaslash.org

Some good links that have been posted to iaslash in the
past few weeks:

Making intranet weblog data usable
--> http://iaslash.org/node.php?id=7459

iaslash is daily news for information architects,
operated by AIfIA
--> http://iaslash.org/

-- BOXES AND ARROWS -- http://www.boxesandarrows.com/

Two good recent Boxes and Arrows articles:

1) Natural Selections: Colors Found in Nature and
Interface Design
The web is awash with sterile design solutions. IBM,
Dell, Microsoft, and countless others are virtually
indistinguishable from each other. Though one might say
this makes browsing easier by virtue of a standardized
interface, in reality such sites create mundane
experiences for their users and fail to make a positive
connection with their audience.
--> http://tinyurl.com/mrgy

2) Sitemaps and Site Indexes: What They Are and Why You
Should Have Them
Sitemaps and site indexes are forms of supplemental
navigation. They give users a way to navigate a site
without having to use the global navigation. By
providing a way to visualize and understand the layout
and structure of the site, a sitemap can help a lost or
confused user find her way.
--> http://tinyurl.com/mqk2

Read other recent Boxes and Arrows articles:
--> http://www.boxesandarrows.com/archives/2003_09.php

All previous articles by categories
--> http://boxesandarrows.com/archives/cat_index.php

Boxes and Arrows is the definitive source for the
complex task of bringing architecture and design to the
digital landscape.
--> http://boxesandarrows.com/

-- IAWIKI -- http://www.IAwiki.net/

Are there ethics for IAs? What ethical questions do we
face?
--> http://www.IAwiki.net/EthicsForIAs

Are there any local IAs I can meet up with?
--> http://www.IAwiki.net/CocktailHours

Looking for Recent Changes to the IAwiki?
--> http://www.IAwiki.net/RecentChanges

IAwiki is a collaborative discussion space for the
topic of Information Architecture. Anyone can
contribute, and there are no pre-registration hoops to
jump thru.
--> http://www.IAwiki.net/

-- ARGUS CENTER FOR INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE --
http://argus-acia.com/

People: Tom Reamy
An interview by Louis Rosenfeld

Every time I interview another information architect,
I'm blown away yet again by the backgrounds and career
paths they've taken. Tom Reamy, an information
architect at Charles Schwab, is no exception. He's been
a programmer, a consultant, and an entrepreneur. He has
degrees in English, Philosophy, and the History of
Ideas. He's even designed a couple of commercial
computer games. Of course he scuba dives (hey, I don't
pretend to understand the connection, but it does seem
to follow). And as another who's been lured and jilted
by Artificial Intelligence, I wanted to get Tom's
thoughts on how AI and IA relate (or don't).

--> http://argus-acia.com/people/reamy_profile.html

----

Comments about this newsletter? Questions? Things you'd
like to see included in future issues?
--> aifia-announce-owner AT lists.ibiblio.org

Want to unsubscribe or change your existing
subscription?