aifia-announce - [AIfIA-announce] AIfIA Newsletter for 01 April 2003

aifia-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: IA Institute announcements.

  • From: aifia-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: AIfIA Announce List <aifia-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [AIfIA-announce] AIfIA Newsletter for 01 April 2003
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 18:53:31 -0600

Asilomar Institute for Information Architecture
--> http://www.aifia.org

The AIfIA-announce newsletter is published every other
week (pretty much) and features news about what's new
with AIfIA and with our partner sites.

So let's get to the news!

---- WHAT'S NEW WITH AIFIA -- http://www.aifia.org ----

1) Provocative discussion and relevant topics help make
AIfIA Leadership Seminar a success

Read what people are saying about the AIfIA Leadership
Seminar:
* "The seminar discussions were intense, provocative
and productive. The experience level of our attendees
was the highest I've seen at a professional
conference."
* "The activities and discussions let you put into
action what you had just heard about. ... I can't wait
to take another seminar."
* "It was like going to a cool party with friends, but
instead of talking about music... we all talked about
information architecture. The best presentations were
just excuses for conversation."

More information, including notes, survey data, and
presentations from the seminar, is available on the
AIfIA web site.
--> READ MORE: http://aifia.org/news/000072.php
--> RESOURCES: http://aifia.org/calendar/000053.php#resources

2) New IA Education mailing list formed
At the recent IA Summit in Portland there was again a
strong showing from students and educators. At one
point during the "five-minute madness" someone called
for a mailing list to connect this community. So we
started one. To subscribe, go to:

This is an open, unmoderated list for discussing topics
related to information architecture education.
Educators, students, and other interested individuals
are welcome to join.

3) Become a member: Sign up now, volunteer, and help
AIfIA grow!
--> JOIN NOW -- http://aifia.org/signup/

---- WHAT'S NEW WITH OUR PARTNERS ----

-- IASLASH -- http://www.iaslash.org

Some good links that have been posted to iaslash in the
past few weeks:

IA Summit 2003 Wrap-up
--> http://iaslash.org/node.php?id=7313

CardZort card sorting software
--> http://iaslash.org/node.php?id=7307

iaslash is daily news for information architects,
operated by AIfIA
--> http://www.iaslash.org/

-- BOXES AND ARROWS -- http://www.boxesandarrows.com/

Three good recent Boxes and Arrows articles:

1) IA Summit Wrapup
--> Day 1: http://tinyurl.com/8m7y
--> Day 2: http://tinyurl.com/8m7u

2) Programming for Information Architects
Both programming and IA are oriented towards
abstraction. They both want to find patterns and rules
that describe and predict. They both are concerned with
handling structured content and metadata. But more
often than not, IAs don¹t know what¹s going on with
code. In this article, Andrew Otwell introduces IAs to
the basic building blocks of programming.
--> http://tinyurl.com/8m84

Read other recent Boxes and Arrows articles:
--> http://www.boxesandarrows.com/archives/2003_03.php

All previous articles by categories
--> http://www.boxesandarrows.com/archives/cat_index.php

Boxes and Arrows is the definitive source for the
complex task of bringing architecture and design to the
digital landscape.
--> http://www.boxesandarrows.com/

-- IAWIKI -- http://www.IAwiki.net/

What is Card Sorting? What are some relevant tools?
--> http://www.iawiki.net/CardSorting

The Amazon API and how it relates to IA
--> http://www.iawiki.net/AmazonAPI

A mini-review and notes from the book
--> http://www.iawiki.net/LinkedTheNewScienceOfNetworks

Looking for Recent Changes to the IAwiki?
--> http://www.IAwiki.net/RecentChanges

IAwiki is a collaborative discussion space for the
topic of Information Architecture. Anyone can
contribute, and there are no pre-registration hoops to
jump thru.
--> http://www.IAwiki.net/

-- ARGUS CENTER FOR INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE --
http://argus-acia.com/

An oldie-but-goodie from the ACIA:

Information Architecture and Business Strategy

Business strategy and information architecture are
closely inter-related. For most organizations, the days
of slapping a web site on top of an existing business
strategy are gone. Web sites, extranets, and intranets
play key roles in defining relationships between a
company and its customers, investors, suppliers, and
employees. The structure and organization of these
sites is critical to success.

--> http://argus-acia.com/strange_connections/strange006.html

----

Comments about this newsletter? Questions? Things you'd
like to see included in future issues?
--> aifia-announce-owner AT lists.ibiblio.org

Want to unsubscribe or change your existing
subscription?