acawiki-general - Re: [acawiki-general] Proposal: AcaWiki to BY-SA

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT gondwanaland.com>
  • To: Samuel Klein <meta.sj AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "AcaWiki general \(listserv\)" <acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [acawiki-general] Proposal: AcaWiki to BY-SA
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:49:17 -0800

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 9:27 AM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj AT gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Chitu, thanks for adding it there. I would prefer to have it as a third
> distinct option rather than a variant [if you have a simpler wording,
> /that/ would be a variant of the third option]. Let's call them "all BY",
> "all BY-SA", and "default BY, opt-in BY-SA" (where the opt-in could be
> triggered by author preference, import from a BY-SA source, &c)

Makes sense as a distinct option. Please edit the wiki. :)

> The whole point of BY is to make reuse easier, especially in the far future.
> SA bodies of work slowly grow year by year, making everything that touches
> or interoperates with them SA. If you want abstracts and summaries in
> general to be BY - and they will of course build on one another, use the
> same templates and formats, merge and split - you have to build a
> primarily-BY repository.
>
> I see two kinds of reusers:
> a) casual reusers who can't be arsed to figure out copyright details, and
> b) other archives / scripted knowledge-mining reusers, looking for
> comprehensive sources for other large-scope projects.

Has FDL/now BY-SA shown to be a barrier for (b) in the context of
Wikimedia projects? I'm genuinely curious, even if it weren't a point
in this discussion.

> For the first group, the reuse page can start with the sentence
> "You can use any material from this site under a BY-SA license."
>
> For the second group, we should generate as much CC-BY material as possible,
> since that material will be much more broadly reusable in any complex
> multi-element derivative. For them, it can say
>
> "Some material is also available for use under CC-BY: for details see
> <copyrights page>"
>
> To really be a good archive, it would also say
> "Some material such as categories and other metadata are available under
> CC-0; for details see <c. p.>"

Sure, we should probably do that too. I suppose Wikimedia projects are
moving slightly in that direction, to the extent in long term Wikidata
suffuses everything, and CC0 policy for it holds.

Mike