acawiki-general - Re: [acawiki-general] Proposal: AcaWiki to BY-SA (again, finally, other?) (was Re: summary reuse)

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT gondwanaland.com>
  • To: jschneider AT pobox.com
  • Cc: "AcaWiki general \(listserv\)" <acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [acawiki-general] Proposal: AcaWiki to BY-SA (again, finally, other?) (was Re: summary reuse)
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 16:25:37 -0800

It's not hard to implement. But see last.

In terms of dis/advantages mentioned on http://acawiki.org/AcaWiki:License_change_proposal

* Partially retains listed BY advantages, to extent AcaWiki dominated by BY material
* May or may not resolve question
* Would allow incorporating BY-SA summaries
* Would not encourage people who want to contribute under copyleft/BY-SA (but caveat below)
* No affect on the murkiness of fair use :)

Caveat re copyleft-only contributors: SJ proposal could be amended to allow contribution of original summaries under BY or BY-SA. I read below to indicate that only those based on BY-SA works elsewhere should be BY-SA (which of course can be worked around trivially by publishing under BY-SA elsewhere first).

I think the main downside, not enumerated above, is that contributors need to be more aware of copyright licenses when there are multiple possibilities. Copyright licenses, two of the most tedious words in the language. :-)

Mike