acawiki-general - Re: [acawiki-general] AcaWiki status/followup

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org, Reid Priedhorsky <reid AT reidster.net>
  • Cc: Erik Moeller <erik AT wikimedia.org>
  • Subject: Re: [acawiki-general] AcaWiki status/followup
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 12:48:03 -0700

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Reid Priedhorsky <reid AT reidster.net> wrote:
* Regarding staying on CC hosting indefinitely until WMF is ready to accept us: I'm still worried about the quality of this hosting. While I definitely appreciate the quick action on the two problems I identified (SMW version and clock error), these are not the kinds of problems that we should be relying on end users to find and report. Rather, this stuff should be simply taken care of by the host. The fact that it's not makes me worry about what other, less obvious, hosting problems may exist.

Similarly, based on discussions with Mako Hill and on these mailing lists, my impression was that SMW hosting is not a service that CC usually does; rather, it's a courtesy extended because AcaWiki needed a host and there wasn't an obvious better option at the time. Therefore, the level of staff attention would be lower and there would be less experience available. Also based on the same sources, my impression was that CC would prefer us to move hosting elsewhere.

CC isn't interested in long term providing hosting to other projects period (SMW or not). It does use SMW extensively on its own wiki and as such is committed to fixing SMW/MW issues quickly as they arise.

That's just a point of information. On whether it makes sense to do interim hosting at a dedicated hosting service, I have no opinion.

Jon Phillips should probably follow up on all of the items you raise.

Mike