xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Problem with Xerces/XOMHandler.inInternalSubset reading from File but not FileReader or FileInputStream

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 AT cam.ac.uk>
  • To: XOM API for Processing XML with Java <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Daniel Lowe <dl387 AT cam.ac.uk>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Problem with Xerces/XOMHandler.inInternalSubset reading from File but not FileReader or FileInputStream
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 08:35:44 +0100

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Elliotte Rusty Harold
<elharo AT ibiblio.org>wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 AT cam.ac.uk>
> wrote:
> > The problem is that the original document is copyright and chemistry
> > publishers are absurdly possessive. By posting the URL for the external
> DTD
> > you know as much as I do. The internal DTD subset consisted of about 6
> NDATA
> > entities (to TIFF files) and I can find it if toy wish but deleting it
> made
> > no difference - the problem seems to occur without an explicit internal
> DTD
> > subset.
>
> NDATA? For real? I don't think I've ever seen one of those outside a
> textbook example.

The full document is not our property but I think I can post a line without
burning in hell. I have commented out the name of the authoring software and
the PUBLICs

<!--A******, Inc., 1988-2005, v.****-->
<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "*************************************" "
http://www.rsc.org/dtds/rscart37.dtd"; [
<!ENTITY fig8 PUBLIC "**********" "********-f8.tif" NDATA tiff>
]>

> > The file b511922g.xml was what I posted to the list - as small as
> possible -
> > one DOCTYPE, and one single toplevel element. I stripped it down but the
> > error persisted.
> >

> Hmm, that's really weird then. I need to rethink what I thought I knew
> about this because what I thought the problem was would only happen
> with an internal DTD subset.

I repeat! There IS no internal subset. Everything to reproduce the problem
is on the list. The external subset (which contains entities, etc. is
publicly visible but not Open). Examples seem to live in:
http://www.rsc.org/dtds/

> Here's a thought: can you run the Xerces program sax.Counter on these
> files and see what happens? That might help us determine if the
> problem is likely in Xerces or XOM.
>
> java -cp xercesSamples.jar sax.Counter
>
> Daniel - can you try this? Thanks

BTW - this is something others on the list can do easily - point their
current XOM at this skeleton document and see if they can reproduce the
error and map its aetiology. It's clearly not "just" a local Cambridge setup
as our collaborators at Southampton have seen it. (I can't help as I can't
create the error!).

C.
--
Peter Murray-Rust