xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Problem with Xerces/XOMHandler.inInternalSubset reading from File but not FileReader or FileInputStream

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: XOM API for Processing XML with Java <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Daniel Lowe <dl387 AT cam.ac.uk>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Problem with Xerces/XOMHandler.inInternalSubset reading from File but not FileReader or FileInputStream
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 07:07:03 -0400

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 AT cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> The problem is that the original document is copyright and chemistry
> publishers are absurdly possessive. By posting the URL for the external DTD
> you know as much as I do. The internal DTD subset consisted of about 6 NDATA
> entities (to TIFF files) and I can find it if toy wish but deleting it made
> no difference - the problem seems to occur without an explicit internal DTD
> subset.

NDATA? For real? I don't think I've ever seen one of those outside a
textbook example.

> The file b511922g.xml was what I posted to the list - as small as possible -
> one DOCTYPE, and one single toplevel element. I stripped it down but the
> error persisted.

Hmm, that's really weird then. I need to rethink what I thought I knew
about this because what I thought the problem was would only happen
with an internal DTD subset.

Here's a thought: can you run the Xerces program sax.Counter on these
files and see what happens? That might help us determine if the
problem is likely in Xerces or XOM.

java -cp xercesSamples.jar sax.Counter

elharo AT ibiblio.org