xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XOM built as an OSGi bundle

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Tatu Saloranta <cowtowncoder AT yahoo.com>
  • To: XOM interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM built as an OSGi bundle
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 15:43:55 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Thu, 4/23/09, Elliotte Harold <elharo AT ibiblio.org> wrote:

> How would one test that the proper entries had been added to the
> manifest? That is, how do I know that I haven't missed or
> misspelled something? Is there an OSGI validator somewhere?

I use console from Apache Felix (http://felix.apache.org/site/index.html).
Start it with 'java -jar felix.jar', load jar (load file:/xxx.jar), install,
start. If that succeeds, bundle is ok to some degree; for example, all
dependencies it declares are resolved.

But to generate correct manifest entries there are Ant tasks & Maven
plug-ins. These are useful in properly verifying that definitions make sense,
all expected dependencies are resolvable and so on. For me this caught most
problems and loading via console only fails if dependencies are not loaded in
correct order.

On dependencies -- OSGi actually offers a way to resolve "private
dependencies" problem; that is, allowing package to depend on specific
version of another library. With XOM this could be used to enforce dependency
to specific Jaxen version without having to bundle it or rename package. So
OSGi bundle jar could avoid bundling Jaxen classes, just declaring correct
version or version range for classes it depend on.

-+ Tatu +-