xom-interest - [XOM-interest] XOM built as an OSGi bundle

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: David Fogel <carrotsalad AT gmail.com>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] XOM built as an OSGi bundle
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 15:27:47 -0400

Hello-

The way XOM is currently packaged is inconvenient to use in an OSGi
context. Are there any plans to create official "osgi bundle-ized"
builds of XOM? Usually this means just adding a few OSGi Manifest
entries in the library jar. XOM seems a little oddly built, with some
of it's dependencies (Jaxen) rolled into the xom jar, while others
(xerces, xalan) are provided in separate jar files. But if this is
just because it's use of Jaxen is purely internal and not exposed to
the end user, then that seems fine.

I'm aware that there is a XOM bundle available at the SpringSource
enterprise bundle repository:

http://www.springsource.com/repository/app/bundle/detail?name=com.springsource.nu.xom

but this is XOM version 1.1, and we'd like to use 1.2.x.

One problem with building my own version is that the XOM distribution
doesn't appear to contain the jaxen source or binary which is used in
the xom binary. Since Jaxen seems to be used as part of the internal
implementation of XOM, it seems a little risky for me to just download
jaxen sources myself.

Anyhow, OSGi is getting more popular as the core infrastructure of
server-side containers, so it probably makes sense to have an official
XOM bundle.

anyone have any thoughts on this?

-Dave Fogel