xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Error extending XOMTestCase

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Emma Middlebrook <Emma.Middlebrook AT clearswift.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Error extending XOMTestCase
  • Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 07:53:49 -0500

Emma Middlebrook wrote:
I thought that might be a problem. I was trying to build some java
samples yesterday and it required some jar files to be downloaded, which
I did, but I could only get the ant scripts to build the samples by
putting the jar files into the /jre/lib/ext directory.

What you're encountering is almost certainly a classpath error. These are notoriously difficult to debug remotely. I think there's been a little confusion here between jre/lib/ext and jre/lib/endorsed. Regardless of that though, nothing should ever be placed in either directory, especially when you're having problems of this nature. Get everything out of there, and out of the CLASSPATH environment variable and add files to the classpath manually, either with -classpath at the command line or with the appropriate Ant or maven properties.

If you like, I could privately send you a draft of an article I'm working on about understanding the classpath. It might be a little basic for you. (It's aimed at novices) but it might give you an idea or two.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!