xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Canonicalizer Performance

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Steve Loughran" <steve.loughran AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Michael Kay" <mike AT saxonica.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Canonicalizer Performance
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 22:32:40 +0100

On 28/08/06, Michael Kay <mike AT saxonica.com> wrote:
> Ok. You might still consider the most trivial fix: On
> overflow, have saxon simply change the prefix to one that's
> already been bound to the same URI, and continue as normal.

It works until you start using QNames in content. Because of this problem,
the XSLT and XQuery specs have moved firmly in the direction of treating
prefixes as significant and to-be-retained, though there are exceptions for
example where you generate two attributes of the same element using the same
prefix to refer to different URIs.

But if there were enough people hitting the limit to justify coding and
testing a recovery strategy for use when the limit is encoutered, then I
would be thinking of how to remove the limit.

Or we patch axis so that it tracks the no. of xmlns declarations and
have it refuses to send any message whose payload exceeds some
threshold. For the sake of everyone downstream.

just a thought

-steve