xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Canonicalizer Performance

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Sean Truman <struman AT nuparadigm.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Canonicalizer Performance
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:20:00 -0400

Sean Truman wrote:
I have a 3MB xml ( http://download.nuparadigm.com/xom-issue/test.xml )
file
that I am trying to canonicalize and it is taking close to 14 Minutes
for
xom on a P4 3.2 with 1GB ram to canonicalize it. Any idea?

There's something very unusual about your test case document. It has over 3000 different namespace prefixes, many of which seem to point to the same three or so namespaces. That's the first thing I'd look at I'd look since XOM has certainly not been extensively tested with documents like that.

Is there a reason you're doing this? If real-world documents like this exist, then this has some implications for other optimizations we've considered as well.

I suspect what's happening is that this is machine generated XML. Machine-generated data (not just XML data either) often tends to produce extreme cases like this that violate people's natural assumptions about maximum limits and expose bugs in code that assumed people would never do things such as write variables with names longer than 256 characters. Indeed people wouldn't, but programs do. Machine generated code has broken a lot of compilers. Your code may be violating some implicit assumptions in XOM.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!