xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Serializer performance patches

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • To: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Serializer performance patches
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 13:21:26 -0700

I'm measuring various doc flavours, in particular the ones in the samples/data/ dir of the nux download. On some docs, writePCDATA is also substantial.

It's possible that there's a bug in the indentation fix. The string.substring() memory overlay principle is sound, though. Actually, even on JDK 1.4 the old version made use allocations and copies for deeply nested docs. Consider that as soon as you do StringBuffer.add(), the shared backing array is lost, and allocs and mem copies are done, even in JDK 1.4...

Wolfgang.