xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] serializing XOM objects

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • To: Michael Kay <mike AT saxonica.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] serializing XOM objects
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 09:21:58 -0400

Michael Kay scripsit:

> (There's a separate point though, which is that in my experience it's quite
> hard to design an API and an implementation of that API at the same time.
> Implementation factors invariably distort the API. But's that's for
> different reasons.)

OTOH, designing an API without reference to any implementation can
produce a hideous mess full of WIBNIs. One cure for the problem, if
you have the resources, is to produce two implementations at the same
time. This trick was used when developing the IBM 360 architecture,
which was designed to be executable on a whole variety of systems with
different price-performance. The IETF's requirement for two independent
interoperating implementations of any protocol to be standardized is
probably related.

--
BALIN FUNDINUL UZBAD KHAZADDUMU jcowan AT reutershealth.com
BALIN SON OF FUNDIN LORD OF KHAZAD-DUM http://www.ccil.org/~cowan