xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] serializing XOM objects

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Luca Passani <passani AT eunet.no>
  • To: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] serializing XOM objects
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 12:34:45 +0200

Elliotte Harold wrote:

if you're concerned about size you wouldn't pretty print anything. If you're concerned about performance you'd use a Serializer rather than toXML.

I use this code to send my XML to the client. The pretty printer is useful for my debugging, but useless
in a production environment. If you can suggest ways to do this more efficient, please tell me, because I am very interested

public static void toPrettyXML(Document doc, OutputStream out, String encoding) throws Exception {
Serializer serializer = new Serializer(out, encoding);
serializer.setIndent(2);
serializer.setMaxLength(200);
serializer.setPreserveBaseURI(false);
serializer.write(doc);
serializer.flush();
out.close();
}

public static String toPrettyXML(Document doc, String encoding) throws Exception {
toPrettyXML(doc, out, encoding);
return out.toString();
}

is there some specific reason why XOM objects cannot be serialized?

Of course XOM objects can be serialized. They can be serialized as compact, interoperable, easy-to-use, easy-to-debug, easy-tread, easy-to-understand, robust XML. Now with if you want them serialized in an opaque, brittle, bulging, platform-specific binary format that breaks every time you add a field to a class...Hmm I think I just answered the question :-)

I actually think you did not. I have given you a great use case of why serialization should be supported: platforms try to do it no matter if you want it or not. So, XOM should allow for that.
I agree that XML is in itself a serialization format, but to me the sensible choice is to let developers decide for themselves, rather than forcing them to live with restrictions.
....mmm.... I am perplexed here.There seems to be a moralistic tone in your approach to this issue...are you born and raised catholic?

Luca