xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] serializing XOM objects

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Luca Passani <passani AT eunet.no>
  • To: Michael Abato <mrabato AT earthlink.net>
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] serializing XOM objects
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 18:54:40 +0200

Michael Abato wrote:

This need not be the case at all. You basically need an application layer between the servlet API and the XOM API, rather than just putting the raw XOM objects in the servlet session.

why? everything works perfectly for me, except for the message in the logs. Why should I introduce extra complexity?

Anyway, the story is that a few weeks back I had a brilian idea and I pulled together a quick and dirty prototype to make my point. They liked it so much that they asked me to hack my way to the next level!!!!

Anyway, I am basically done now. I even solved the encoding problem. It turns up that Java is far from "write once and deploy everywhere". Encoding issues can sneak in your application in ways totally opaque to non-expert programmers.
If in doubt, keep an eye on System.properties("file.encoding").

Apologies for having "bombarded" the list these days and thanks to all that took the time to help

Luca