xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Exception message "-1"

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • To: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Exception message "-1"
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 08:32:44 -0400

Elliotte Harold scripsit:

> By the way John, in the process I may have discovered another mismatch
> between TagSoup and XOM: Will TagSoup ever report a carriage return in
> the content of a comment or a processing instruction?

It shouldn't, but it does. <sigh/>

> A real XML parser
> will never do this because you can't use character references inside
> comments and PIs,

True.

> and XOM throws an exception if it sees a parser trying this.

Paranoid, aren't we. But you're right, there is no way to serialize
such a thing, and anyhow it should be mapped to LF. I'm tempted to remove
line-end processing from the state table altogether and do it at a lower
level, just to make sure I haven't missed any corner cases, but it would
probably make TagSoup even slower.

What is the state-of-the-art profiler for Java, anyhow? Time to start
improving performance.

--
Kill Gorgûn! Kill orc-folk! John Cowan
No other words please Wild Men. jcowan AT reutershealth.com