xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] does XOM offer any performance advantages for me?

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] does XOM offer any performance advantages for me?
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:45:59 -0800

On Mar 25, 2005, at 6:18 PM, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

I was looking for a way to more quickly get to a particular message to move it, or a particular mailbox to add or remove it. However, if I understand what I've read so far, while using a StreamingPathFilter would get me where I want to go faster, I would want to then serialize not just the change but the rest of the document as well. So, I'd need to build the DOM for the entire document anyways.

Right. If you need the entire document, then you need to have the entire document. Possibly you could build, serialize, and then throw away a piece at a time, but that's getting a little trickier.

I'm not sure I fully understand the use case, but the update part of it seems to be trickier because XOM has no streaming output equivalent to the NodeFactory that would allow to individually write one subtree at a time (rather than write entire documents). You could write a workaround with a bit of string printing or use some SAX like library...

Wolfgang.