xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] does XOM offer any performance advantages for me?

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: jason mazzotta <jazzdman AT comcast.net>
  • To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] does XOM offer any performance advantages for me?
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:09:13 -0500

Hi,
Ultimately, I'm trying to transform e-mail messages from one form into XML. I can (and do in other parts of my app) express what I'm looking for with XPaths. The tree for what my XML document would look something like this :

e-mail

mailboxes

... mailbox

messages id

... message

To From Date Subject Content

I was looking for a way to more quickly get to a particular message to move it, or a particular mailbox to add or remove it. However, if I understand what I've read so far, while using a StreamingPathFilter would get me where I want to go faster, I would want to then serialize not just the change but the rest of the document as well. So, I'd need to build the DOM for the entire document anyways.