typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] ymg dvd

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: mike AT appelstein.com
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] ymg dvd
  • Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 08:53:54 -0400

The Live At The Hurrah! DVD contains the same concert footage that was
released
on VHS in the mid-90s. No extras, unfortunately - though they did use a shot
of my old zine, with YMG on the cover, in the artwork! You can buy the
audio-only portion on a separate CD.

For those of you who've never seen it: get it. It reminds me of Joy
Division's
Here Are The Young Men in that it's raw and often poorly lit, but these
qualities work in its favor to preserve some of the mystery. What a
revelation, after listening to the records for so long, to actually see the
band members in concert. Alison actually smiles! There's occasional stage
banter! Real people actually made this music!

There's a separate clip of "Include Me Out" from one of the Target Video comps
(probably recorded at their Berkeley or Palo Alto shows) that still needs
unearthing.

I am envious of Lydia Z. for getting to spend time at Hurrah. You
can't imagine
how hard it was to live an hour away in high school exurbia, knowing all this
amazing music was happening just up the New Jersey Turnpike.

-Mike
http://djearlybird.blogspot.com

Quoting HunnyPi007 AT aol.com:

haven't viewed this dvd yet but i've been waiting for it to come out since
seeing it prematurely listed on netflix a couple of months ago. the
fact that
they list the always great live PYLON as "The Pylons" makes me a little
suspect as to the quality of this thing and it would have been better
if they could
have gotten the rights to footage of more interesting bands who played at the
club (maybe the "more" listed are these bands?). however, i still want to
see it as i really enjoyed my time spent at hurrah's, the closest
cool club to
my grandmother's (uptown) apartment (where i mostly stayed when visiting the
city back in the day)?fun dancing to great dj's and some killer
bookings, most
notably for me a new year's eve bill with au pairs, the mekons, and gang of
four! i truly feel lucky to have experienced that. (i'd also like
some info
on the au pairs comp?42 tracks!?if anyone has it.)

btw, netflix lists another "live at hurrah[s]" dvd, this one from 2004 of a
1980 show by a fave of all true typicalpeople, young marble giants.
i haven't
seen it yet either so can someone else comment on it?

typically,
lydia