typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Live From Hurrah's DVD? Au Pairs anthology?

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Daniel Selzer <danselzer AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Live From Hurrah's DVD? Au Pairs anthology?
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 02:02:50 -0700 (PDT)

--- HunnyPi007 AT aol.com wrote:
> btw, netflix lists another "live at hurrah[s]" dvd,
> this one from 2004 of a
> 1980 show by a fave of all true typicalpeople, young
> marble giants. i haven't
> seen it yet either so can someone else comment on
> it?

That came out on Cherry Red...I have it...it's
rather...static? Not a lot of jumping around on stage,
or moving around on stage, or fancy lighting, or any
lighting. At one point Allison removes a jacket, and
at another point you can see someone playing a
keyboard. I'm sure there's more to it but I haven't
watched it in a bit.

HOWEVER, it is 4:53 in the AM and I'm watching
Shirley's Post-Punk Haircuts special. So great! Even
if I had seen the Josef K vid on Youtube already. I
remember the casting call, I totally needed a haircut
that week and thought, who is more deserving of a
Post-Punk haircut than me? But I wimped out.

-dan selzer

p.s. those in the NYC area. Tonight is the 4th time my
friend Jeremy Campbell and I are doing a new "party",
called Dazzle Ships. In response to a few years of
playing crowd-pleasing dance favorites and "working
the crowd" at packed and/or empty dance parties,
Dazzle Ships is our attempt to please nobody but
ourselves, and it's working because only the DJs have
a good time. We play slow disco, dubby post-punk, odd
80s obscurities, Robert Wyatt, etc. Our guest dj is
Joshua Gabriel. It's an early evening affair, 8 or so
on. Heathers is 506 e 13th near A. Flyer and more info
here:

http://www.tropicalcomputersystem.com/