sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] stable grimoire

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT tiberian.ru>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] stable grimoire
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 15:48:14 -0500

Kevin,

the biggest issue here is that a couple of recent migrations from
server to server and loss of dbg (2015-2016) had ruined our *proper*
mirroring procedure which had been working just fine over the years
before this disruption happened. So first of all we need to fix this.
Thomas is helping us out with his mirror, but the overall setup is not
perfect yet, and we also lack hands.

Second, we should stop generating spell updates at such speed, but
instead invest this time into polishing, releasing and updating
stables. As of now it is way more stable for general use (especially
for critical server purposes) than what we have now in test with latest
and greatest GCC and dozens of daily non-tested updates. If you have a
stable core (for which you might probably need to crawl over the Net
for some missing sources), then building a stable system with >500
spells while keeping the very recent ones that you urgently need in a
local grimoire is quite real.

So we can't simply ask upstream to stop breaking URLs: this happened so
many times to kernel.org, sf.net, pypi and many others. I'm not even
talking about tiny projects which migrate from hosting to hosting every
now and then.

I fixed several of source URL a week ago (including the zlib one), but
didn't check all of them. To all: feel free to come up with patches,
and probably they'll be included in upcoming stable-0.62-10.

I have no ETA on stable-0.63 as of now, because it would need a decent
amount of testing regarding revert to gcc 4.9 and smooth upgrade path
from 0.62, but there's still a very little interest in working on stable
grimoire among general developers.