sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] stable grimoire

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] stable grimoire
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 10:23:42 +0100

On Thu, 5 Jan 2017 11:11:20 +0100, Thomas Orgis wrote:
Am Thu, 05 Jan 2017 10:34:25 +0100
schrieb Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>:

I just looked at the contents of the stable grimoire

I see lots of ancient versions.
gcc-4.6.3

We intended to roll gcc-4.9.3 (or 4.8) as intermediate step, to avoid
also having the whole C++11 ABI break, too. And yes, we should get on
with this. Once a branch is created, I could fire up a script on some
beefy machine to cast as much as possible … but in the end … we only
ensured mostly basesystem upgrade in the past. So testing that and you
ensuring that one has _some_ KDE after the upgrade should be what is
needed. Remember the list of upgrade-tested spells in the old wiki?

kde-4.10.x
qt5-5.2.8

in the case of qt and kde, these versions are at least 3 years old and
unsupported.
There is no sign of kde5/plasma stuff

Given the massive amount of changes in kde, I do not see an easy
upgrade path from stable to the current test grimoire.

So … since KDE5 does not exist in stable yet, there is no upgrade
problem, is there? I'd be fine with deprecating KDE4 instead of trying
to upgrade to a newer one. We do not have anyone working on KDE4.
Important stuff outside the core DE like okular, kdenlive, and
kolourpaint do use KDE5 in test, as I see.

Does upgrading spells and replacing KDE4 with KDE5 in the process not
work? What kind of issues do you see?

I would suggest a statement in the release notes, something like:

Important change to QT and KDE.
Nearly everything has been has been ported to Qt5. There only a few residual games and rarely used applications which are still based on Qt4.
Many spells have been renamed, split or removed since the previous stable branch was released.
For instance,
qt4 => qtbase + 20 other libraries
kdelibs => multiple frameworks
kde-workspace => plasma/*
kdebase-apps => dolphin, konqueror, kfind, kdialog
kdepim => kmail, kleopatra, etc
calligra => calligra, kexi, krita

If you have any Qt or KDE spells installed, we recommend that they all be dispelled and atht you then select those applications that you really need from the new kde*/plasma* spells. This will then include all relevant dependencies.

Regards, Treeve

Alrighty then,

Thomas