sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Qt5 mess

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Qt5 mess
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 18:54:07 +0200

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 10:05:24 +0200, Thomas Orgis wrote:
Am Fri, 24 Apr 2015 13:57:56 -0400
schrieb Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>:

I've done this a bunch of times. When installing to different prefixes, it
should work.

Thanks for confirming. Heck, I see that described in BLFS now:
QT5DIR=/opt/qt5-$VERSION and QT5LINK=/opt/qt5 . Well, but the automatic
migration would not be funny:-/ Except we start with a fresh name for
the link.

I'm not sure what their long-term plans are, but all the standard stuff is
included in the single tarball.

IME, mixing versions doesn't work well unless you are doing developer
builds. Some modules refuse to run.

Plus, I'm battling with qttools to actually install all the stuff that
some apps want from it. It just installs some subset by default.

I really would like a note on why we started with modular spells. I
fail to even find build instructions for those separate tarballs! I
only see building from one tree, with the submodules checked out into
it.

The individual tarballs just seem broken.

Personally, I prefer the split tarballs, as individual build times are much shorter, apart from qtweb* which are horrendous.
It also make it possible to upgrade qtbase, while keeping the other components unchanged. Old components should work with newer foundations.
Bear in mind that some things are classed as experimental, others are deprecated or obsolete and will not be updated after qt-5.5.

I have just pushed a bunch of commits which add lots of kde5-frameworks libraries.
The files KDE_DEPENDS and KDE_FUNCTIONS should give some clues about building things against qt5.
Plasma stuff will follow next week, when 5.3.0 is available.
Then come the apps, whis where the real conflicts start.

Major apps such as digikam and calligra should be available by June.
Digikam is virtually complete, while calligra already builds with qt5.
Kdenlive, konversation, kate and gwenview have been released, as have most of the games and education stuff.
I have spells for all of these,

kdepim is still in progress.

I have been building all this qt5/kde5 stuff for a long time, and now my systems are pure qt5.

I think that having multiple qt5 versions would be a major headache.
I agree that the qmake build system is seriously broke, which cause all the self conflicts.

Be aware that qt-4.8.7 should be released in a few days. That will be the last qt4 version. I would like to take that opporunity to make it install to /opt/qt4, which is how I have been using it locally for a long time.

Regards, Treeve

Alrighty then,

Thomas